Warping and weaving!

Today I had a little play around - after a discussion with my ten year old about what cottons to use for the first experiment, we decided to try using a small rigid heddle I bought a few weeks ago and my supply of stranded cotton...




We used a couple of chairs to wind the warp around - she chose a rainbow pattern, but we quickly realised the band would be tiny, so we decided that we would put a central white thread and then a mirror version of the rainbow...



I had a little problem when removing the warp from the chairs, as the released suddenly and so I had some untangling to do (good job I had the cross over point safely secured and a tie around the end of the warp!). Pulling the threads through the heddle wasn't too tricky (2 same colour threads through each hole and slot and stranded cotton is so thin) - I found that using a 2mm crochet hook worked wonders.








Anyway, I managed to cobble together a set up and had a trial run at weaving using the backstrap method.












 My (not so) little helper wanted me to use white for the weft and asked if she could have a bookmark from it - she'd gone to bed before I started, but 1 used 2 strands of white stranded cotton as the warp, and she will be having the first weaving from the experiment...  I'm thinking that the checkerboard effect is due to having double threads for everything, but I like it (even my teenager said she thought it looked quite cool!)



Tomorrow, I think I'll use a single strand of red stranded cotton ...

Sara ¯\_(ツ)_/¯




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friendship wraps available now!

Pre-christmas Tablet Weavng